Thursday, February 13, 2014

Horrifically embarrassing and wrong.


I mentioned in my last post that this is a monumental year to live in Kansas. While the weather is abnormally cold, it is not as cold as the Kansas government. 


I knew my life in Kansas would be very different than that in California. The politics is different and religion takes more importance. What I didn't realize is how seriously screwed up their priorities are (yeah, we're going there).

When I first moved here I learned the legislator's stance on sustainability. 


"State Rep. Dennis Hedke (R-Wichita) has introduced legislation that would ban Kansas state and local governments from spending public funds on sustainable development." 

                                    -Huffington Post


When I heard this, I thought, "WHAT?!"

Here I am, WORKING FOR A SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT NON-PROFIT, in a state that doesn't even support the work being done. That took a little bit of effort to blow off and realize that even a lack of support doesn't change the importance of the work.

And now, ANOTHER setback.

Yesterday, Kansas House passed a bill that would allow service refusal to same-sex couples on religious grounds.

WHAT!?

"A bill that would give public and private employees the right to refuse service based on their religious beliefs about marriage."


Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/11/3281557/full-house-vote-expected-on-bill.html?=storylinkFB#storylink=cpy

I encourage you to read this article. I won't force my views on you...but I will be the first to say that this bill is ass-backwards, an embarrassment, and utterly disgusting. 

[Rep. Charles Macheers, R-Shawnee, said on the House floor that his bill prevents discrimination.]

“Discrimination is horrible. It’s hurtful … It has no place in civilized society, and that’s precisely why we’re moving this bill,” he said. “There have been times throughout history where people have been persecuted for their religious beliefs because they were unpopular. This bill provides a shield of protection for that.”

UM? WHAT!?


Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/11/3281557/full-house-vote-expected-on-bill.html?=storylinkFB#storylink=cpy
While I like to spin this as yet another learning opportunity, I am currently just annoyed that I live in a state with such discriminatory and narrow-minded (I really just want to say 'shitty') views.

That's all I have to say for now. But I am all for taking the time to write a thorough  response letter...which is exactly what I'm doing. Read the bill, let me know what you think.


If you feel as passionate as I do, consider signing this petition

No comments:

Post a Comment