Monday, May 19, 2014

And this is why I'm having a good Monday.

This needed to be a stand-alone post. Today is Monday. Typically I go through a couple cups of coffee to get my energy going. But, today is different. Today, as I worked alone in the office, I had a very special visitor. 

A grey-haired, elderly man with a braid to his waist and Birkenstocks on his feet walked into GreenTown with a warm smile and many hellos. I greeted him and welcomed him in. He informed me that he only had a few minutes but that he didn't realize he was in THAT Greensburg that had been hit by the tornado. After I told him a little about the town and their road to recovery, I wanted to see where he was coming from and where he was headed. I found out he was headed to Missouri to visit his first grandchild and that he was coming from DAVIS, CA! Yes, MY Davis! THE Davis. I instantly told him where I went to school and we started laughing about how crazy it seemed to run into a fellow Davis-er in the middle of Kansas! 

I told him why I was in Greensburg and how I am serving an AmeriCorps term. Once I said that, he extended his arm out, took my hand, and shook it while saying, "Thank you." We proceeded to walk around GreenTown and I told him about the house and the need for smart growth...especially in post-disaster communities. He couldn't agree more, he continued to nod his head, smiling...at everything I said! He got it. He got why this project is important, why I am here, and why someone from San Diego, California would want to move to Greensburg, Kansas. A perfect stranger didn't need me to explain my reasoning, he just got it. He apologized that he couldn't stay longer, but before he left, he gave me a hug and said, "I am so happy to have met a young person like you. You are doing great things. You are going to help save the world."

A stranger. A five minute conversation. He was my capstone visitor. I am in Greensburg, Kansas NOT for the recognition or a pat on the back, I am here to help plan and build a stronger and inspiring future. I am here to learn, to teach, and to meet people like the name-less Davis-ite. In one quick visit, he made my work here matter...and that touched me in a way I couldn't emotionally handle. I can't stop smiling!

I see what he has done for me as a lesson for what I can do for others. There is great work being done everywhere, in various fields, around the globe and by people of all shapes and sizes. The next time I meet someone who makes a positive impact on me and the environment I live in, I am going to shake their hand, give them a hug, and tell them 'thank you'.

This is why I didn't need coffee today. Today is a very good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment